Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Missing pockets, acquiring pockets

I will post on Paris soon--I'd like to do it while it's still in my memory. So, soon. I woke up this morning in a funk and I opened my gmail to find all these messages from people I love. My parents, my sister (who is cleaning up on med school interviews *fingers crossed*), my best friends from around the world! I miss and love them all. Oh how delightful to be called a "pocket rocket" and a "TINGS"! I haven't heard those names for too long. The other day we were in class booking Vienna tickets and someone called me "Suk-Ting" after I sent him my booking confirmation. It was so out of place in friggin the U-ROPE-ean Union class and instantly made me homesick! People call me "Tchan" here which reminds of Wordsworth, Keats, A Sand County Almanac, apple cider at the Marchants, and general Hotchkiss fall. (aside: I've been thinking Keats lately because I think there is a movie coming out about his life? "Evening Star?" I'd be interested to see it) I suppose one day the name "TChan" will remind me of Amsterdam too!

Anyways, thought: I need to work at staying in touch, especially with my parents. It's hard to talk to those you miss too much. It jars with the reality of the space between you.

Another thought: Wonderful new friends! I love all my new friends here and I feel especially lucky to have Olivia living so nearby and being such a fast and solid friend to me.




Third and most superficial thought: Wonderful new bags. When in Paris we went to a vintage store and I went crazy--the bags were 5-10 euros and delightful. I bought: a leather, black, softened passport holder; a beautiful cream colored leather bag-let with a gold chain; a brown leather purse. All for 20 euro! I also...bought...a...Longchamps bag! i LOVE it. It was more than 20 euro, but still cheaper than it would be in Canada. It is a soft, olive-green. Today, I went with Olivia to fax something on Spuistraat when I had no business going to the printerzoetbittenfaxenhein (I have no idea what it is called, OK) SPECIFICALLY to test out my Longchamps bag. It looks wonderful on my yellow bicycle. Ok, and I must also add that I bought a fourth thing at the vintage shop--a new wallet! It is just gorgeous (it has a lock), and it has a separate zipper for a pocket that will fit all my change. Hopefully the days of the flying change phenomenon have passed.

Final thought: I'm lucky to have family, old friends, new friends, and wonderful French bags with extra pockets.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

HIIII POCKET!!! I have a lot of points. Namely:
1) I LOVE the title of this post
1a) It took me about five minutes to explain to someone on Saturday why the homemade tie-dye shirt I was wearing said "Pocket" on the back and also had a sharpie-drawn "pocket" on the front left breast
2) You are not tchan. You are and will always be chan4.
3) I love that you love the pockets on your bag/wallet
4) I love that you have a yellow bicycle. I was already picturing you in the streets/meadows (are there even meadows??) of the Netherlands on a bicycle but in my imagination it was blue. I will correct that.
5) I miss you!

Becky said...

chan4 FTW.